Weather emergencies or contaminants may make it temporarily unsafe to be outside. When it is necessary to seek shelter, move inside to a space that protects you from the danger. DO NOT lock doors behind you as others may also need to seek shelter.
What to do:
- Remain calm and seek shelter inside the closest building.
- Don't wait until you see danger before you react.
- Seek shelter in interior rooms and corridors.
- Close windows and exterior doors. Do not lock doors.
- Avoid windows, glass, and unsecured objects that may fall.
- Don't use elevators.
- Avoid large, free-standing expanses such as auditoriums and gymnasiums.
- Resist the temptation to go outside and check the weather conditions yourself.
- Await further instruction from Y-Alert notifications and emergency personnel.
- Do not leave until an “all clear” is received.